Friday, October 2, 2009

Food

When I go shopping for food, which I have to admit is not really that often since I eat out most times, I do not by any means consider an environmental approach in what it is that I'm buying. I focus more on what is healthy for me. When I'm at a grocery store, I'm usually proud that I'm there and not in line at McDonald's! I have been really trying to push myself to be more healthy and eat and drink the things that one ought to, and really never think of getting food that is local, or think about where it came from or anything along those lines....I've never thought to do that at a grocery store. I guess I have a long ways to go in changing my habits and becoming more enviornmentally focused. I never think of enviornmental impact and the such when it comes to food, I always seem to focus it on transportation, and energy and so forth. Same thing goes when I am out at a restaurant. I try to get something that's healthy and won't feel guilty about afterwards, in the respect of eating "right".

Having to assume responsibility and admitting what I eat is always embarrasing. The things I've eaten in the past two days...? That would be Subway, and McDonald's. Not gonna lie. That's about it most days. I don't honestly know which is worse in terms of considering an environmental impact, but I would have to guess that between the two, it would be McDonald's. It takes a lot to get the final, poorly wrapped double cheeseburger into my bag and out the door with me. I'm not sure how far away the meat comes from, but I know there's quite a process involved even if it were local.

All in all, I have to say that my first step in changing my eating habits has to come for myself. And that is making a change in my food intake and becoming more healthy. Then, at that point, I think I will feel good about myself and then be able to focus my attention on making enviornmentally "healthy" choices from there. Once I start to feel good about eating healthy and becoming more optimistic about my lifestyle changes, then I feel that I could really make some eco-friendly changes in what I eat and buy from the grocery store. I would really like to know what some of these eco-friendly purchases could be? But to be honest, at this point, food is food to me, and I wouldn't even know the first place to start in making sure I make a better decision when deciding what to put in my cart. I'm sure between choice A, B, and C, there's one that's bound to be the best, and I wouldn't care less either way, but haven't the slightest clue as to find out which would be the smartest from an environmental stance.....

No comments:

Post a Comment