Friday, November 20, 2009

a job well begun

There is something to be said for a manifesto. A calling together of ideas on a subject with a projected hope of a future vision, like William McDonough and Michael Braungart put forth in Cradle to Cradle. They are telling their story, perhaps a story that takes place in the future, but a story. The best part about their story is that parts of it are already in action! I appreciate their vision, their hope, their creativity and their hard work. I love that picking up that book says something to me. Also, that when I hand that book to someone else I can hand them ideas, a possibility, and an example right there in their hands. It, in and of itself, laughs at people who think they are bunk. It says, "try me!" and I love that. I knew before reading C to C that design and a green future were tied in my head. I also had a high set of expectations for the book, for McDonough especially, and was already aware of critiques against him. I think that the book is a wonderful piece of work and I think that optimism is KEY to its success and viewpoint. The book cleared up some of the critiques and insults I had heard about C to C products and Bill himself. Some of the critiques were obviously coming from people who hadn't read the book, others questioned why spend time re-designing products we really could do without (like throw-away water bottles) and others are either jealous of or annoyed with McDonough. To those people, I am sure that this architect who thinks he can define a greener future might be a pain in the ass....but come on guys, design is IMPORTANT. Others are just sick of celebrity environmentalism and think he plays into that...but again, while this kinda grosses me out too, I will admit that most Americans like their celebrities, in any form, so i'll take the ones who have good ideas about a greener future! The two issues that I have heard raised about C to C and McDonough in particular that ring a bit more serious to me are his reluctance to be transparent and share his knowledge with a commons. If the environment is the goal here, then SHARE and get people on board. Exclusion works for people trying to make money, not people trying to build a better, healthier future. I wonder which camp Bill falls into when it comes down to it?? And finally, It must be said that there is no message of equity and social justice in the C to C design principles. Of course, I don't think that these ends are incompatible with C to C, as the SIS building proves....it just requires vision and prioritization on the part of the project holders to make this a key element, rather than C to C having it part of their immediate goals. All in all, very excited about cradle to cradle. Hope to field opens up for others *like me* to do work like this. I would love to look at greener design either in political structures or tangible ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment