Friday, November 20, 2009

The True Cycle of Life

I really find waste=food concept the ultimate way of life. There are many critics to refute that this can become a reality. I am not saying that we can do this at a 100% rate of effectiveness, but we as a human race need to use this idea in mind when we go to produce and manufacture products. Even though I am a fan of recycling, when you look down the road...it really DOES just prolong the inevitable. There needs to be a mindset of eliminating waste all together.

This concept makes me thing of the city of Masdar in the United Arab Emirates, where there are no cars, the city will be run completely from renewable energies, and best of all.....no waste. In my spare time I have been trying to do further research into this, and grasp the ways in which they are attempting to live "waste free". I can not stress this enough, that eliminating waste would be like Utopia for the enviornment.

I think if we truly wrap our minds around this concept, we can take great strides in making this a reality. There was pressure to put a man on the moon within a decade from JFK, and we did it. We wanted to abolish slavery, and we did it. We wanted so many things, as a society, and when we fought to do it, we did. I don't understand why there is all this backlash on doing something so fundamental for ourselves, and yet instead of trying alternatives, we bash them down and say there's no way it can happen. I think back to the 1800's and beyond, and ask them if they believed we would have machines that transported us at fast speeds on land and in the air, or that an actual human being would be on the moon, and I bet they would say that would never happen. When we put our minds to do something, it will happen. But more importantly, for whatever reason, when there is pressure put on us, is when we are able to accomodate.

As far as the content of Cradle to Cradle goes, even though people may find some flaws or have the attitudes that it is a nice "dream" but it can never happen, I just take a look at what society has been able to do, and it REALLY isn't that hard to overcome really - at least how I see it. The majority of the people on the Earth probably would love the concept of no waste, and are all for it. So we wouldn't have to struggle to change the mindset. We just need to put pressure on ourselves to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment