Thursday, November 19, 2009

We Found the Compromise

All throughout class this semester, I have sat back and absorbed almost everything (I hope!). Key terms, history of environmental negotiations, etc. The one thing that I have had trouble with the with the whole semester was "changing the system" - i.e. how to retool the economy to be more environmentally friendly. On my own time, I have been positing ways that this could be achieved. granted, it is a hard task, but I gave it shot. So, here's what I've come up with: we can't change economics.

I know it's gloomy, but my reasoning is this: economics is too ingrained in the world's psyche, and it is a system that, when used correctly, is not an awful indicator of how the country's finances are going. I agree that some minor tweaks are required - indeed, as the book pointed out, the GDP of an oil spill area went up because all the workers were buying things in the area! Despite this, economics seems to do its job very well; thus, it is hard to imagine that we will live in a post-economics world.

This, then, is why I love "Cradle to Cradle." It tackles the issues of the economic system, but does not try to eradicate it. Instead, it works with the drivers of the economy to work in the system while making environmentally conscious choices. Right now, as also mentioned in "The Story of Stuff", we live in a linear world. "Cradle to Cradle", then, tries to make our system circular so that, not only are we economically growing, but we are doing while not aggravating our world. It seems to be the ultimate compromise - environmentalists will not stop until change occurs, and economists will not change their minds, because who's to say they don't have a valid point, either? So, by using both systems' best options - growth and sustainability - we live in a world of compromise and peace. Indeed, does the war not end when a treaty is signed? I think McDonough and Braungart's vision is the treaty - now all the world has to do is sign it already. Granted, that treaty allows us to fight together in another battle, but we're not there yet. Soon, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment