Friday, December 4, 2009

turning reactions into actions



Framing, re-framing, beginning and re-beginning has been a pattern of mine over the years as I try to discuss environmental issues with loved ones. With strangers there is an ease of introducing ideas and topics, then depending on the dialogue, situating the topic in the form of a constructive debate or just a more laid-back discussion. With family and friends this "directing" is far more difficult. So, I find myself constantly re-approaching how I approach these topics with people. Guilt and anger are not emotions I am all that effective with. I am far more prone to feel guilt about others feeling guilty and anger is not really something I excel at. Working with what I've got, I can do logic and information in the forms of science, academic work and suggested sources of information. With people like my mom, a doctor, who respond to science this is the more effective. Often, these are the people who distrust the politics of it all. Also, I do storytelling. This works the best for me because I can convey how people are actually dealing with issues surrounding the environment in the world and it engages in a dialogue that is further away from re-hashed political chants. While I prefer talking to people about issues in this way, I have yet to see this incite a large transition from someone in the form of proactive measures. However....I have, over time, having these discussions again and again, paired with tools to enable people to make small changes, gotten family and friends to make small changes that they had previously scoffed at. While these measure are SO small and fragmented, like re-usable water bottles, bags, buying local/organic foods, new light bulbs, recycling, and buying stuff they need used, it has given me the impression that while they are not people who will become environmental activists, whenever they say something will never work, I can point out to them how many small changes they have made in just a year or two. Often, they haven't even realized the change, the adaption and how it doesn't bug them like they thought it would. I am still really unsure about how to talk to some of my friends about issues, especially around the idea of working towards implementation, like writing letters, reconsidering norms or getting together to work on a project. This is the next step for me, from constructive dialogue that makes people reconsider to making constructive concrete action happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment