Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Shoppin' Ain't Easy, or Why I Can't Stop Eating Farting Cows

Until this class, I have never thought about how my food choices at the supermarket would affect the environment. Honestly, just because I buy "iceberg" lettuce as opposed to organicly-grown lettuce can't have that much of a negative impact, right? This sis something I've never thought of before, and something I might have to start asking myself. What worries me is that not everyone in the world is taking this class, so not everyone is going to start thinking about these things. In other words, there are millions of "past me's" out there that will buy what their hearts desire, and some of those, even with all the information in front of them, won't change their minds. However, it must be noticed that morality does not play much of a role now, since price seems to rule the day. Even if something is less environmentally friendly, if it is more expensive, then it probably won't be consumed. This is a common theme all throughout the natural dilemma. So, while I have changed my perspective on shopping, the majority of persons will not have, and that is an even bigger question: how do we get them to be like me now? Surely, they can not all take this course - Ward 105 is not that big of a classroom. We must then appeal to people's pockets, preferably their wallets. Prices of environmentally friendly products must be lowered as whole or non-friendly products made more expensive. Without this, frugality will win, and ultimately destroy our food supplies.

Recently, I went to Chipotle on a business meeting for the Ambassador Program here at AU. As someone who enjoys meat a whole lot, I order the Steak Burrito without much thought. Of course, Chipotle advertises that they only use the "finest meats" from "well-treated cows." Yet, when I look at the price of $6.75, it is hard to believe that those cows were treated well, since that would cost a lot of money. It is my belief, then, that my Chipotle eating habit is, in all likelihood, brutally affecting the environment. The poor treatment of animals, the nature they graze on, and (histerically), the more cows there are, the more methane is produced from their farts. Not to mention the disease that may be in those meats. I wish I could write on here once and for all that "I declare that I will never eat at Chipotle again!" Sadly, I like the guacamole too much. Either it goes bad, or I'm still going. Trust me, my head is down in shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment